Kaiser Moanalua Medical Center was constructed in several phases from 1982 to 1984. The complex consists of 3 primary wings: a 4 level, 58,200 sf nursing wing; a 4 level 107,028 sf clinic wing with a lower level basement; and a 214,523 sf 5 level ancillary services building. The total current gross floor area of the complex is approximately 379,751 sf.
In 2003, we prepared a study to assess the condition and capacities of the existing mechanical and electrical system infrastructure, and developed a mechanical and electrical master plan to accommodate the addition of a new 5 level, 139,800 SF tower, renovation of approximately 83,600 SF of the existing hospital, and renovations and upgrades to the central plant. Our specific scope of work for this project included assessment of the HVAC, plumbing, electrical, fire alarm, fire sprinkler, medical gas and med gas alarm, emergency power, LAN and telecom systems for current and anticipated upgrades. Our study also provided recommendations for the existing hospital to comply with current JCAHO guidelines and to improve operations and energy efficiency.
In 2004, we were retained to provide mechanical and electrical design services from schematic to final design for construction of the following:
- Plumbing and medical gas systems for new tower and the renovated areas of the existing hospital.
- New central chilled water air handling systems for the new tower and renovated areas of the existing hospital, including variable air volume systems with reheat or dual duct systems in critical patient care and treatment areas.
- New ventilation exhaust systems for new tower and renovated areas of the existing hospital.
- Expansion of the fire sprinkler system to protect the new tower and renovated areas.
- Interface of smoke control and compartmentalization requirements for the mechanical ventilation systems.
- Expansion of the DDC control system to monitor and operate the new equipment.
- Improvements to the central plant, including replacement of one chiller and installation of a new cooling tower, new steam boiler plant and hot water heating system, new fuel system for the boilers and new electrical generators, and improvements to the fire protection and medical gas systems.
- Commercial and emergency power distribution for the new tower and renovated areas of the existing hospital.
- Lighting for the new tower and renovated areas of the existing hospital.
- Empty conduits for telecomm and data.
- Security, access, PA, CATV, and nurse call systems.
- Fire alarm system for the new tower and modification of the existing fire alarm system in the existing renovated areas, including interface of smoke control and compartmentalization requirements for fire alarm system with the mechanical ventilation systems.
- Improvements to the central plant to accommodate the new mechanical equipment, new electrical vault and service for the new tower, and installation of a new emergency generator system to serve the new tower, the existing hospital, and the existing SNF building.